Tuesday, February 17, 2009

48/365


Kristen and Toby's house was built in 1930. The main part of the house is really well preserved. The cellar, on the other hand, is an old cellar, but I like it. Before I had even seen the cellar, Kristen and Toby told me there were three little rooms in it. One room is a new room. I guess the previous owner was going to make it into a music room. The kids call the other rooms the pink dungeon and the blue dungeon. I am not sure what the blue dungeon originally was, but the pink dungeon (with a blue door), I'm sure, was a root cellar, or vegetable cellar. When I first saw the door of the room, it brought back so many memories of my grandmother's cellar (her house was built in 1900). She had a root cellar with the same kind of door. I can still see it. It had a dirt floor; there were shelves with old canning jars (some still with tomatoes, etc. in them). I guess by the time I came along my grandmother wasn't canning anymore, but hadn't cleaned out the canning jars. There was also old Orange Crush soda in brown glass bottles in that room. As a child, I was fascinated with that room. Well, I feel the same way about the root cellar in Kris and Toby's house. Some previous owner poured a cement floor in 2000 (there are names and handprints in the cement)but the rest of the room is so similar; no canning jars, but so similar. It took me on a trip down memory lane!

No comments: