Thursday, March 12, 2009

71/365


These are hydrangea cuttings that I have been rooting since last September. Paul, Marley and I went to the Cape to visit Paul's aunt and uncle. His Aunt Judy has the most beautiful purple hydrangea plants along one side of her house. She gave me some cuttings, wrapped in wet paper towels, to bring home. She said they were real "easy" to root. I bought some vermiculite and put them in pots near a window in an unused upstairs bedroom (it was the only place I could put them away from Izzy). The only problem is that we don't have the heat on in that bedroom. In the beginning I kept them "misted" every day. But as the winter went on, and it was cold in that room, I wasn't as faithful. I'm not sure if they are still alive or not. I guess I'll know when I go to plant them, if they have any roots. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW CUTE !!!! They look alive. They have green on them. I am not sure but I think the color of these bushes has a lot to do with the soil. That is why at the Cape you can see some beautiful blue ones even. Has to do with the soil types in different places...Acid etc.

Linda L.

Debbie said...

Yes, I have heard that. I just love hydrangeas though and I would be happy with any color. I just hope they live!

Anonymous said...

ALL I CAN SAY (IN LOVE ) IS LOTS OF LUCK

Anonymous said...

We just had a landscaper over to check out our yard. Everything was dead when we bought the house. Ken put a lot of time out back raking up dead grass and weeds (we thought) but they have summer and winter grass & what we thought was weed was the grass. So Dani had him do her yard We figured we will have him get us started. Then Ken can maintain. I will post a blog when it is done.